Lone Pine Tree Village set upon a rock bluff adjacent to the Columbia River. It was near the native’s fishing grounds.
“The church and village were built by Henry Gulick, a Scottish immigrant who settled in the area in the 1890s.
His wife Harriet, a local Wasco woman, was a member of the Indian Shaker movement.
Though Henry was not religious, he built a small wooden church, which soon became one of the centers of Indian Shaker activity on the Columbia River.”
(Frank Hunt Photography) Please visit Frank Hunt’s site for more details re the Shaker religious movement amongst the native American tribes. Apparently there are still remnants of this today.
Above is the small, insert image of the Lone Pine Tree church as it stood in the 1950’s. That image was taken by Gladys Seufert, whose family owned the property the motel was constructed upon. It so happens Gladys & Francis Seufert took quite a few photos of old structures in Wasco County, Oregon.